Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tuna Melts My Heart



            Hello readers!  I apologize for being MIA for the past week, sometimes life throws us circumstances and stressors that make it nearly impossible to find the time to update one’s blog.  However, I did find time to continue to prepare meals for Chris and I, so prepare for some yummy new ideas!
            I know that I have mentioned previously in my post about tuna melt pie that I enjoy a good tuna melt.  With that said, when I saw this recipe for tuna melts in “The Illustrated Kitchen Bible,” I had to make it.  It looked so tasty and similar to the ones I love from Lazlo’s.  The preparation was not difficult at all, and I actually threw these together for a Sunday lunch!
            Chris, who is also a super fan of the tuna melt, LOVED these!  I think he would love for these to become a Sunday special, followed by pancakes and eggs in the morning, and prior to pizza for dinner!  We shall see about that as we don’t want to have too much of a good thing.  Try these for yourself soon!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-4 English muffins
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 red bell pepper; seeded and finely chopped
-4 scallions (I omitted these as I forgot to buy them!)
-2 shallots finely chopped
-2 x 6oz. cans albacore tuna, drained
-2 tbsp ketchup
-2 tbsp mayonnaise
-grated zest of 1 lemon
-4 large, thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese

Preparation:
-Turn the oven to broil; split the muffins, and toast
-Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat.  Add the red pepper, scallions, and shallots.  Cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes.  Add the tuna, breaking up the chunks.  Cook for about 1 minute until the tuna is heated through.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the ketchup, mayonnaise, and lemon zest.
-Spread remaining mayo over the cut slices of the muffins.  Spread 4 muffin halves with the tuna mixture and arrange the cheese on top.
-Broil until the cheese melts.  Top with the remaining muffin half, and serve!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment