Friday, November 12, 2010

Taffy Apple Pizza!



            This past Sunday evening Chris and I played host to some very special guests, my brother, Brent, his wife, Abbie, and their son, Kale.  We don’t often get to play host to them as they live in my hometown, which is about 2 hours away so we were thrilled when they made a dinner pit-stop on their way to Omaha.
            I will digress here to discuss why the three of them were headed to Omaha.  If you go back in the blog, or if you have been following it for awhile, you will remember I posted once about a meal I took the three of them in the hospital following Kale’s first open heart surgery.  I will not even attempt here to go into the details of Kale’s diagnosis and treatment to date as Abbie writes so poignantly about it on Kale’s caring bridge site.  So, if you would like the specifics, I would encourage you to visit his site as she does a wonderful job of keeping all of the many people who are praying for Kale up to date on how he is doing.
            Because Brent, Abbie, and our entire family were anxious as to what Kale’s Monday appointment would bring, not to mention the looming possibility of another surgery and weeks spent in the hospital, I hoped to create a nice mix of comfort food followed by a tasty dessert.  So, I prepared the Runza casserole featured on the blog previously, followed by my friend Amber’s recipe for Taffy Apple Pizza.  I had tried this recipe before when it was lovingly prepared by Amber and knew that Brent and Abbie would love it.  I knew my hypothesis was proven true when people Abbie had told about it asked me for the recipe at the hospital on Tuesday…mission accomplished!
            The recipe is super easy and hard to mess up.  I do think that next time I will bake the cookie on a cookie sheet as my pizza pan has holes in the bottom, which resulted in little burnt brown dots in the bottom of the cookie!  Try this one for your family and friends, as they are sure to love it!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-1 package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
-1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
-1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
-2 medium granny smith apples
-1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
-1/2 cup peanuts, chopped

Preparation:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Shape cookie dough into a ball and roll out onto a round pizza pan: about ¼ inch thick.  Bake 16-18 minutes, until light golden brown.  Let cool for 10 minutes.
-Combine cream cheese, brown sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla; mix well.  Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over sugar cookie.
-Core and slice apples.  Arrange evenly over cream cheese mixture.
-Drizzle caramel ice cream topping over apples.  Sprinkle chopped peanuts over apples.  Cut into wedges.

Enjoy!

For updates on Kale go to:

Please keep Kale, Brent & Abbie in your prayers.  Kale is incredibly strong and such a fighter.  I am so amazed at what is tiny body can handle and so proud of how strong Brent and Abbie are for him, and their tremendous faith in this most difficult of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment