Monday, November 22, 2010

Pizza Margherita!



            In 2007, I had the amazing opportunity to backpack Europe with 3 of my best friends.  Our journey began in Florence, Italy and I have since cherished all things Italian.  In fact, just the other day I was flipping through an art book thinking how I need to get myself back to the Ufizzi, stat.  Because (unfortunately) a European getaway does not seem likely in my immediate future, I decide there would be nothing like a little Homemade Pizza Margherita to bring a bit of Italy to our home.
            I found this recipe in the “Cooking Light” cookbook, and Chris and I were not disappointed.  I would even go so far as to say it could possibly be a contender for BEST DISH TO DATE if we were keeping an official list.  Chris and I both loved it, and I was shocked at how easy it was.  Trust me when I say that 3 months ago I wouldn’t have even dreamed of making a homemade pizza, my how far I have come!  If you are a lover of all things Italian, give this one a try!

Slainte/Ciao!

Recipe:
-1 (10 oz.) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
-Cooking spray
-1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
-1 garlic clove halved
-5 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
-1 cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
-1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
-1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation:
-Heat oven to 400 degrees
-Coat baking sheet with cooking spray; unroll dough onto baking sheet
-Bake dough for 8 minutes; remove from heat and brush with olive oil.  Rub crust with cut sides of garlic (I didn’t do this)
-Arrange tomato slices on crust, leaving the border bare; sprinkle evenly with cheese; bake for 12 minutes until cheese melts and crust is golden
-Combine ¼ teaspoon oil and vinegar; stir with a whisk
-Sprinkle pizza evenly with sliced basil, salt, and pepper.  Drizzle vinegar mixture evenly over pizza.  Cut into pieces and serve!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment