Monday, October 4, 2010

Monster Mash!


            

            So this post is long overdue, but the recipe is WAY too good to just “skip over.”  In fact, the moment these monster cookies were brought into my home by my friend Ashley (recall the post on my BFFAEAE?) I knew I had to make them for myself.  They are so delicious that I even decided to spread the love, if you will, and baked enough to take to three events that week.  I took them first to work, then gave them to our God Teens group, then took them to RCIA after which I finally remembered and took the pathetic picture shown below which doesn’t even begin to do them justice as it was the only remaining cookie left after all of that sharing.  More or less, this cookie shown is like the sad last-selected puppy in a litter.  The message I am trying to push here-don’t judge these cookies by their photo!
            To give credit where credit is due, Ashley was given this recipe by her friend Heather, whose mother made these growing up for them.  That’s the thing about cookies, everyone has a certain kind that with one bite, can bring them right back to their childhood.  While I would like to say that the mess in the photo shown above was caused by some unruly child in my kitchen, I must admit that only Hurricane Heather is at fault.  It’s as if every time I become a little too smug about starting to be a good cook, catastrophe strikes!  Thank goodness FEMA was free to come in and save me from myself. 

Slainte!

Monster Cookies:
3 eggs
1 C + 2 Tbsp brown sugar (packed)
1 C sugar
3/4 t vanilla
1/8 C white corn syrup
2 t soda
1/2 C margarine - room temp
1 1/2 C peanut butter
4 1/2 C oatmeal
6-8 oz each: m&m's, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips
Note-there is no flour in this recipe

-Cream the margarine and sugars together. Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla and corn syrup. Next mix in soda and peanut butter. Last add oats, m&m's, and chocolate/butterscotch chips and combine well. 
-Then, use a small meatball/ice cream scoop and drop onto a greased cookie sheet (parchment paper really works better) and press down slightly, then bake @ 350* about 11 min. Do NOT overbake. Wait 5 min. before removing from the baking sheet to a cooling rack. 

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. My sister in law makes these too - they are YUMMY! Glad to see the recipe on here! Keep up the great work Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Best cookies ever. My mother does have her own blog: lindamullen.blogspot.com if you're ever interested in more of her culinary work. She's amazing. I'm so glad you posted these to share. And I'm so glad Ashley loves these as much as I do. :) Good job, girls.

    ReplyDelete