Monday, October 11, 2010

Bring on the Cheese!



            Bring on the cheese, you ask?  Oh yes, mac & cheese!  I’m not talking the out of the box kind that kids all over the United States eat by the pound for dinner each evening…oh no, I am talking REAL mac & cheese.  Homemade mac & cheese. 
            I must admit, that every new cookbook I get I am always looking at the recipes for homemade mac & cheese while simultaneously foaming at the mouth.  So, when I saw this recipe, which looked simple, easy, and of course, delicious, I had to make it.  The end result was all-American mac & cheese greatness.  The only thing I would change would be to use less bread crumbs, as I think I went a little overboard.  This thought was confirmed by Chris who requested “less breadcrumbs next time.”  My other recommendation, try this for yourself immediately!

Slainte!

Genuine homemade mac & cheese recipe:
-vegetable oil spray for the pan
-1/2 pound elbow macaroni
-2 tablespoons butter
-1 ½ tablespoons flour
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon dry mustard
-dash of cayenne pepper
-2 cups of milk
-1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
-bread crumbs

Preparation:
-coat the baking dish with cooking spray
-set the rack as high as possible in the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees
-cook the pasta according to package directions
-to make the cheese sauce, melt the butter over low heat, in the same pot you use to cook the macaroni.  When the butter is melted, add the flour, salt, mustard, and cayenne.  Whisk until the mixture forms a thick paste.  Then drizzle in the milk, while still continuing to whisk.  Do this approximately 2 minutes. Mix in all of the cheddar and ½ of the Parmesan cheese until melted and all blended.
-Combine with past and place in baking dish
-top with remaining Parmesan and breadcrumbs
-Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and the top is a nice golden brown

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment