Friday, October 22, 2010

Spiced Shrimp!




            This week we enjoyed spiced shrimp with green beans and lime, and I do not think I can accurately describe how much we both liked it!  It was so delicious, I nearly scalded my tongue on the skillet trying to lick it clean.  You’re right, I’m exaggerating!  But it was almost that good.  I don’t think we had a single morsel left when the meal was over.
            From the moment I saw this recipe, I couldn’t wait to pick up the ingredients and try it.  It looked so simple, and I always love a good shrimp dish.  I was thrilled when I found a perfect sized bag of shrimp at Target that boasted it was “large, peeled, and deveined.”  The preparation was very simple.  In fact, typically when a recipe says it takes 20 minutes, I can tack on at least another 15 for my slow preparation speed.  This one, however, took not one single moment more than 20 minutes!  If you love shrimp, try this one immediately!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-1 cup long-grain white rice
-1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1/2 pound green beans, halved crosswise
-4 cloves garlic, chopped
-1 to 2 red jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced (I couldn’t find these, so I omitted)
-1 ½ pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
-1 ½ teaspoons chilli powder
-1/4 cup fresh lime juice

Preparation:
-Cook the rice according to package directions; fluff with a fork and fold in the cilantro
-Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the green beans, garlic, jalapenos, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, tossing frequently, for 3 minutes.
-Season the shrimp with the chilli powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.  Add them to the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes.  Stir in the lime juice and serve over the rice.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather! Thought I'd let you know that Nick cooked this tonight and it is delicious!! Thanks for the suggestion:D

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete