Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bring on the heat...Fajitas that is!


            

           There is this quaint little Mexican restaurant in my hometown called La Hacienda.  If we were to go there tomorrow, I would bet my life that my parents would likely split an order of chicken fajitas.  They love fajitas!  As a child, I must admit, that I was a bit more captivated by the steam and smoke that came shooting out of the pan when the waitress brought them out, than anything else.  However, I will say that I think I always managed to snag a piece or two for myself when they weren’t looking.
            It is because of my parent’s love for fajitas, that I felt this latest recipe for steak fajitas would be a great use of some of the beef they so graciously brought us from one of this summer’s 4-H calves (may he rest in peace).  This recipe is simple, delicious, and was even great warmed the next day as my lunch!  Try it for yourself soon!

Slainte

Recipe:
-1 ½ pounds flank, sirloin, rib-eye, skirt, or strip steak, about ¾ in thick
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
-1 large red bell pepper
-1 large yellow bell pepper
-1 large green bell pepper
-1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 clove)
-tortillas

Preparation:
-Pat the steak dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper.
-Place a large skillet over medium heat.  After about 1 minute, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and swirl to coat.  Add the steak, cooking for 1-2 minutes until nicely browned.  Flip over, and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes.
-Transfer steak to a cutting board (I then cut it up and had to cook it a bit longer with the peppers as it was too rare for me)
-Without cleaning the pan, add another tablespoon olive oil and toss the onion and bell peppers for 3 to 5 minutes.  Toss in the garlic and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt during the last minute of cooking
-Serve immediately in flour tortillas!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment