Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fish Fry!


Since starting out on this culinary adventure, I now often find myself flipping aimlessly through my cookbooks hoping to stumble across meal ideas for the week.  So, when I stumbled across this recipe in my copy of Get Cooking for crispy pan-fried fish fillets, I knew I must give it a go.  I knew this because before I could actually put together ingredients to make a decent meal, Chris and I would often enjoy “fish n chips” that I would make for us using, of course, frozen fried fish fillets and French fries.  Now, I do not want to knock our former version, as it was admittedly quite tasty.  But I must say that this new version, which is literally almost as easy to prepare and easily better tasting will likely become the McQuillan family fish fry staple.  In fact, after we finished dinner and headed out to the pumpkin patch to find out pumpkins, Chris and I joked, “Bring on Lent!”

Slainte!

Recipe:
-1 pound white fish fillets, such as sole, snapper, or cod (four 4-ounce pieces; I used cod)
-1 large egg
-1 teaspoon water
-1/2 cup panko (Japanese style) bread crumbs
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/8 teaspoon black pepper
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 tablespoon butter
-lemon or lime wedges for serving

Preparation:
-rinse the fish under cold water; pat dry with a paper towel
-break the egg into a bowl, beat with a whisk, adding the water as you beat; set aside
-combine the panko, salt and pepper on a plate.  Have a second plate ready to hold the coated fillets
-dip the fillets one at a time in the egg mixture, then coat both sides with the panko mixture.  Set on the clean plate
-place a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the olive oil, followed by the butter, until completely melted
-carefully transfer the fillets to the skillet and cook each side without disturbing for 2-3 minutes
-serve hot with the lemon or lime wedge

Enjoy!

1 comment: