Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dinner Disaster


With my new job, one exciting thing is that I go in one day of the week later than the others, and as a result I stay at work later on that day. I have found this to be a day that I look forward to, as I get more done around the house in the morning and then try to prepare a crock pot or other slow cooking dish for dinner so that it is ready when I get home at night.  So, each week as I do my meal planning I keep an eye out for something great to try.  As you all know well by now, I often find myself checking out the Pioneer Woman's site for delicious recipes and a good laugh as I love her sense of humor.  Have I mentioned my secret desire to befriend the Pioneer Woman?  I am confident we would get along, maybe even become instant besties. Anyway, so I was scrolling through her site and found the most delicious looking recipe for pork sandwiches with cilantro-jalapeno slaw
and knew that I MUST TRY THESE SOON.  I immediately added this to my meal plan, put it together on my morning off, headed to work, and then proceeded to slip into daydreams about how wonderful dinner would be, and how much more deeply in love Chris would fall with me when the sandwhiches hit his lips...
 
Suffice it to say, that my day went along well until I received a text from my wonderful hubby around 7pm asking me what he should do with the meat in the oven.  My heart sank.  Surely I had told him to take it out at 5pm!  Well folks, I hadn't told my husband, and he hadn't asked, and what we were left with was a ruined stock pot, a charred pork like substance solidified to the pan, a smoke filled kitchen, and a lingering odor of burnt nastiness that seemed to plague us for days.  The life lesson here?  Always make a note to your significant other as to what to do with the meal you lovingly prepared for them!

Did I mention that when we got home from Chipotle we noticed the buns were moldy?!

 
I suppose you are wondering how I managed to salvage this dinner and mask my disappointment at not getting to eat what looked like the best sandwhiches ever?  Well folks, I drowned my sorrows in a delicious calorie packed Chipotle burrito!  I really think it was just what we needed to turn the night around.  In the meantime, a valuable lesson was learned, and I achieved what is my most memorable mishap to date.
 
Slainte!
 
To see the sandwhiches I was attempting to make check out the link below:
 
Enjoy!

Mmm...empty burrito bowl container...

No comments:

Post a Comment