Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pork Chops and Scalloped Potatoes



            This next recipe for pork chops and scalloped potatoes is yet another tasty addition to my arsenal of go to slow cooker recipes.  To me, a pork chop is a different kind of slow cooker fare, but that goes to show just how little I previously thought could be prepared in a slow cooker.  Growing up, I would say I thought slow cookers were for beef only, boy was I wrong!
            Now, while I would definitely add this recipe to my list of go to’s, I would not select it if I were pressed for time or had a lot going on in the morning.  This is because I am still not the speediest at peeling and slicing potatoes, so this recipe was quite the undertaking as I rushed around my kitchen trying to get out of the door.
            Also, I made a mistake in the preparation as I did not use cheese spread, but sliced up a block of cheese.  This resulted in chunky cheese (maybe this could be a new restaurant, like a spin off of Chuck E Cheese?)  which was not as appealing as it could have been if it had melted evenly covering the potatoes and pork.  While it did look a little funny, the taste really didn’t seem to be affected and it was still really yummy.  Just a good reminder to slow down and read recipes more carefully!  Try this one for yourselves soon, especially if you have ninja-like chopping skills!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-1 onion, sliced, separated into rings and divided
-8 potatoes, peeled, sliced and divided
-16 oz. pkg. pasteurized process cheese spread, sliced and divided
-6 boneless pork chops
-salt and pepper to taste
-10 ¾ oz. can cream of chicken soup

Preparation:
Spread a layer of onion rings in a slow cooker.  Place a layer or potatoes over onion rings, then a layer of cheese.  Continue to layer until slow cooker is two-thirds full.  Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper; place on top.  Spread soup over top.  Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low setting, or 3 to 4 hours on high setting.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment