Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cola Roast



            This next recipe is the epitome of crock-pot simple!  Seriously, I am going to have to be careful or I might just get addicted to the crock-pot and its simplicity!  Yesterday, while I was getting ready, I defrosted the meat.  When I was about to walk out the door, I dumped all of the ingredients together, set the crock-pot to low, and left for the day.  When I returned, the house smelled like a yummy roast!
            Now, when I saw this recipe, I was very intrigued.  Having never thought about cooking roast in two cans of Coke, I didn’t know what the end product would be like.  My fear was that it would leave the meat tasting too sweet.  I will say that this fear was very much un-realized.  We had Ethan over for dinner, and he and Chris agreed that the meat tasted really good, especially when I admitted how little I had done to prepare it.
            If I could change one thing about this roast, it would be to have spent more time considering what I was going to serve for side dishes.  Having given this no thought, I realized at the last minute that I didn’t have so much as a vegetable or head of lettuce to serve along with it.  Now, being a quick thinker, I realized that I had a bruschetta packet my mom had given me that could quickly be thrown together pending I make a quick run to the store for diced tomatoes and a French baguette.  This turned out awesome, and even “I hate tomatoes Ethan” loved it!  Have I ever mentioned my heartfelt thanks to being located so close to two very nice grocery stores??  Well, if not, let’s just say it is awesome on nights like last night when I find myself in a bit of a pinch.
            Try this roast out for yourself soon and be sure to share your thoughts as well as what you come up with to serve as a side!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-3-lb. beef pot roast
-1.35 oz. pkg. onion soup mix
-2 12 oz. cans cola


Preparation:
Place roast in a slow cooker; sprinkle with the onion soup mix.  Pour cola over top.  Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours.







No comments:

Post a Comment