Monday, March 7, 2011

Shrimp Scampi



            This next recipe brings to mind a bit of nostalgia for me.  I think that the first cookbook I purchased for myself in college was the Betty Crocker’s Cooking Basics cookbook.  I am unsure if I have touched on this before, but this is a really great non-threatening place to start for the home cook.  It gives a variety of recipes, some of which are intense enough to really build a gals confidence.
            So, after Chris and I hadn’t been dating very long at all I decided to make dinner for him.  I knew that he enjoyed seafood (as of course, do I) so that paired with my affinity for pasta, helped me decide that this recipe for shrimp scampi was just the ticket.  Now, the real shocker is of course 1) that at that point in life Chris agreed to eat anything prepared by me given my track record and 2) that it actually turned out!
            Because of this, when I was doing my meal planning, I decided to make this one again when I happed to stumble across it.  Lucky for me, just like the first time it was SO yummy!  Chris enjoyed it also, and it was a double yummy as it still tasted great the next day as leftovers!  Try this one for yourself soon, as always it is super easy!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-3/4 pound uncooked peeled and cleaned medium shrimp
-1 medium green onion with top
-1 clove garlic
-4 ounces uncooked fettuccine
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-2 teaspoons chopped fresh or ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
-2 teaspoons chopped fresh or ¾ teaspoon parsley flakes
-1 tablespoon lemon juice
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-Grated parmesan cheese, if desired



Preparation:
-Cook the pasta according to package directions
-Rinse the shrimp and pat dry with a paper towel.  Remove the tails if the shrimp still have them.  Peel the green onion, and cut into ¼ inch slices.  Peel and finely chop the garlic.
-When the fettuccine has been cooking for 5 minutes, heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes.  Cook the shrimp, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, lemon juice and salt in the oil 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until shrimp are pink and firm.
-Drain the fettuccine and toss with the shrimp mixture in the skillet.  Serve and sprinkle with cheese!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment