Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie



            In keeping with the theme of following friend’s advice to try their recipes, I finally tried a recipe my friend Jeannine gave to me in graduate school (aka a LONG time ago).  In school, I would eat a lean cuisine or smart one every day.  My friends Jeannine and Katie were different though, as they would often bring leftovers of meals they created themselves the evening before.  Needless to say, I admired these two a ton during that period of my life (as I still do today!)
            So, I do not remember the specifics, but somehow I ended up with a couple of printouts of Jeannine’s favorite go to recipes, which I have miraculously held on to for all of this time.  I stumbled across it this past weekend and decided to finally pick something to try.  I settled on chicken pot pie as it looked very yummy and I knew Chris would love it. 
            The amazing thing about this recipe is that it took little to no time to prepare, and Chris literally asked me “Was this one tough?”  If I wasn’t striving to be a good person, I might consider lying to him.  It just isn’t as impressive to tell him everyday, “Nope, super easy, all I did was…”  This really isn’t such a bad problem to have.  I mean, if I can have a meal that tastes like I slaved over it when I really didn’t, why not go for that?  It makes me think of the words of my college professor who taught my favorite class ‘Wines, Vines, and You.’  He said, “If you buy a $100 bottle of wine that you enjoy best, and I enjoy a $5 bottle of wine best, well then you can drink your bottle, and I will still have 19 left!”  I’d toast to that!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-Shredded chicken or turkey (I always boil mine for 20 mins and shred it myself)
-Frozen mixed veggies
-1 can cream of mushroom soup
-Salt
-Pepper
-1 tube of crescent rolls

Preparation:
-Mix all ingredients together and microwave until hot.
-Put in baking dish and cover with crescent rolls.
*Now, Jeannine doesn’t do this but I spread the crescent rolls out like a crust, and baked the who dish at 375 degrees for about 15-20 mins until the crescent rolls were a golden brown and it turned out good.  She bakes them separately, and places them on top of the casserole.

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a recipe for chicken pot pie. This looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so fortunate to have a shout out from my favorite blogstress! I have, however, tweaked this recipe in the last year or so. Instead of using a whole can of cream of mushroom soup, I now use a half can of cream of mushroom soup and a half can of cream of chicken. It makes it taste more "chickeny."

    Sometimes, when I am ambitious, I cook some chicken ahead of time and store in the freezer. Then, when I want to make this dish, all I have to do is use the pre-cooked chicken and it literally takes 10-15 minutes to make! Great for a weeknight!

    I've also done this with store bought pie crust instead of crescent rolls. This way take a bit longer but is good for variety. I spread one crust on the bottom of a casserole dish and bake it for 10-12 minutes, then put the chicken/veggie/soup mixture in and put the second crust on top and bake for another 10-12 minutes.

    ReplyDelete