Monday, August 30, 2010

Just Peachy!


            
            As I peel myself off of the sofa to write this next entry, I must say that tonight’s meal was so satisfying that Chris and I are both literally sitting on the couch in somewhat of a stupor.  After being together so long, you would think that there would be little that Chris and I don’t know about each other.  However, while we were having dinner tonight and each of us proclaimed, “I really like pork chops!” our bewildered expressions back at one another said, “You do?!”  Needless to say, pork chops will be back for an encore shortly.
            One thing that I do know very well about Chris is that his Grandpa Caffrey was so special to him and was a very important part of his childhood.  Let’s just say, if I had a dollar for every time I heard a “Walt story,” I think my student loans would be paid off.  When I make meals, Chris always quotes his grandfather and says “Well, it’s got good flavor!”  I recommend you check out this recipe for Roasted Pork Chops and Peaches taken from the August 2010 issue of Real Simple magazine, as it can be said without a doubt that the pork chops “have got good flavor!”

Slainte!

Recipe:
-1 10 oz. package couscous (so this didn’t turn out so great as my side)  Anyone have any tips???
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-4 pork chops
-kosher salt and black pepper
-2 peaches cut into wedges
-1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
-3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves

Preparation:
-Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Cook the couscous according to the package directions.
-Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.  Season the pork with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
-Add the peaches, onion, vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper to the skillet and cook, tossing, for 1 minute.  Return the pork (and all accumulated juices) to the skillet.  Transfer the skillet to oven and roast until the pork is cooked through and the peaches are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.  *I transferred it all to a Corningware dish before putting in the oven.
-Sprinkle with the basil and serve with the couscous.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment