Monday, August 23, 2010

Food + Family=Two Great Loves!



There are few things I love as much as food and family.  One such thing in my life is, of course, travel.  So this week when I decided to take a meal to family members, I was faced with the question of “What food would travel best to family?”  I knew the answer was something baked which would (hopefully) keep its warmth and arrive in Omaha a temperature similar to the one in which it left Lincoln.  The answer I arrived at was a simple pasta bake served with salad and garlic bread.  For dessert, I served carrot cupcakes made from scratch.  You didn’t really just fall for that, did you?  Ok, ok they may have come from a box.  But, that doesn’t mean I didn’t mix them up and pour the batter into the cute paper cups!  That’s the same as from scratch, right? 
            Anyway, pasta to me is always such a comforting food.  Or is that just carbs in general?  Regardless, I thought perhaps this simple meal might be a nice change of pace for my brother Brent and his wife Abbie, who have spent more days in the hospital over the last month than they have at home.  Their adorable 3 month-old son Kale was diagnosed with a heart condition around a month ago resulting in him undergoing open-heart surgery.  For those of you who couldn’t imagine how a family could make it through such an ordeal, I would encourage you to meet Brent, Abbie and Kale as they are a portrait of strength and have handled each day with abundant grace.  I am so blessed to have all three of them in my life, and feel so proud of them each time I visit.
            For me, when people I love are in need of comfort and support, I always want to be doing something or bringing them something.  I feel that food is an excellent way to help out in a variety of circumstances and families appreciate meals whether they have just had a baby, lost a loved one, suffered an injury, etc.  Of course, you always feel a bit nervous when preparing a meal for others.  But in this instance, I was confident I could trump hospital food!

Slainte!

For the pasta bake recipe I used simply click on the link below:
            

*If planning to take this dish to others, I would recommend a temperature sealing carrying case.  The one I used is basically an insulated picnic basket.  Not sure where it came from, but is a great gift we received for our wedding.

I am happy to report that baby Kale was dismissed from the hospital today!  For updates on Kale, visit:


No comments:

Post a Comment