Monday, August 9, 2010

Dinner for One!


            Football season in Nebraska=dinner for one at the McQuillan household.  This coupled with the continuous increase in temperature today, led to a severe decrease in motivation to cook for yours truly tonight.  After about an hour of silently arguing with myself and explaining the reasons why I should just make a sandwich, or better yet, head out for some fast food, I made a compromise.  I would make dinner using the (limited) ingredients I have in my kitchen, to avoid going out in the heat.  Thus, tonight’s fare consisted of potato gnocchi and urban grilled summer squash.
            While it doesn’t seem like these two would go well together, it seemed to really hit the spot tonight!  The squash was wonderful and just the right combination of onion, squash, and olive oil.  Gnocchi seems to always be a go-to meal for us, and I probably love it so much because I can’t eat it without thinking of an amazing evening spent with close friends in Florence, Italy.
            Preparing this meal tonight reminds me that cooking really isn’t so bad once I give in to myself and go for it.  It also makes me reflect on my struggle to adequately pair items together to form a complete meal.  This seems so strange to me as I have perfect confidence in my abilities to pair shoes, jewelry, etc. with an outfit.  To each her own, I guess!  Perhaps there is some guide book I have missed on how to do this more effectively?  OR, maybe I could start a show on Food Network similar to the one on TLC and call it “What Not to Pair.”
            More on that topic later, when I actually figure it out.  Now, back to the topic at hand.  Tonight’s recipe was taken from Mollie Katzen’s Get Cooking, and is called “Urban Grilled Summer Squash.”  This cookbook was lovingly given to me by mother in law, Patty, who likely knew her son was soon to starve to death upon his marriage to me.  It is super cute, and has many practical recipes.  This one included olive oil, red or yellow onions, salt, garlic, squash  (which is beyond prevalent at local farmer’s markets), and black pepper.  If you would like details, please let me know.  Until next time, stay cool!

Slainte!

2 comments:

  1. I've never cooked gnocchi, but I see it on the Food network all the time. What do you put with it? Have you made it yourself or do you just pick up the pre-made packages at the store? I'm very curious. Maybe you should include a great gnocchi recipe when you find one. :)

    Also, my mom's blog is full of recipes- that's what she's passionate about. Her link is on my blog. "Mama Mullen"- check her out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather-I have never made homemade gnocchi to date. I typically purchase it at Target as I feel they have a good variety. I like to pair it with any sauce really. This one I did with a basic red sauce, and I would say that I enjoy it more with a white sauce or cheese sauce of some sort.

    I recently found a recipe for gnocchi so I will add it to the list of things to try and share soon!

    Can't wait to check out your mom's blog!

    ReplyDelete