Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Hit or a Miss?


Following a hit the evening before, I suffered somewhat of a miss.  While Chris insisted that the Spaghetti Carbonara was “good” I couldn’t help but interpret his statement as “this is really stinkin’ dry, but I’m not going to say anything because I can tell my wife is trying really hard at this cooking thing.”
            Anyway, I suspect where I went wrong with this next one was cooking too much pasta and not enough of the sauce.  In a nutshell, I am awful at knowing how much pasta will be enough for two people.  Perhaps I should have registered for that tool that measures out pasta servings?  Does anyone know where I should pick one up because this really isn’t the first occasion I have made this mistake!
            Now, I realize that I am making this out to be somewhat of a flop, but I would still recommend this dish as it was really pretty tasty even if it did, in this instance, require double the water to get it down!  If someone tries this and has success, please let me know!

Slainte!

*Recipe taken from Cooking Light: The Essential Dinner Tonight cookbook
Recipe:
-8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
-1 cup chopped cooked ham
-1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 large eggs, lightly beaten
-1 garlic clove, minced
-1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Preparation:
-Cook pasta according to packing directions.  Reserve ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
-Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add ham, and cook 2 minutes until thoroughly heated.  Add pasta, and stir well.  Combine cheese and next 4 ingredients; stir with a whisk.  Add reserved cooking liquid to egg mixture, stirring with a whisk.  Pour egg mixture over pasta mixture; stir well.  Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly.  Sprinkle with pepper.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather, your recipes all look so great, you are a good wife to be cooking real food for yourself and Chris, it is a bonding thing to share home cooked food ! The too much pasta thing is so common ! I have usually found if you are using dried(boxed or bagged) pasta, it will serve at least 1 1/2 or 2 times as many as the servings marked on the box. Did you have a chance to check out the pioneer woman? You would love her recipes and cooking section of her blog !

    ReplyDelete