Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fire up the Fall Fiesta!



            It is plain to see everywhere you go, that fall is upon us.  With this brings the return of Lincoln’s youth population, as UNL is now in session.  Included in the masses of coeds are my little brother (can you really call a 22 year old little?) and his friends/roommates, otherwise known as the Shirley Court Ranch-hands.
            Because I am often concerned about what these guys do for meals, I thought we would invite them over for a meal to really start the year off right.  What I came up with was a delicious mix of Mexican marvelous-ness.  Now, I am about to stop tooting my own horn, but will end by saying that Chris and I were in complete agreement that this was easily the best meal of the week.  And, contrary to Ethan’s snide comment, this was not the first time my oven had been used…clearly he reads my blog which often includes evidence of oven use.  You would have to ask him to be sure, but I think even he who thrives off of making fun of me, was impressed. 
            Below you will find the recipe for the Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde taken from the Cooking Light: The Essential Dinner Tonight cookbook.  I am also including the recipe for the guacamole I made taken from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.  I recommend you make this meal immediately!  We also served black beans, Spanish rice, and of course for my college age friends, a few Coronas!

Slainte!

Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde

Recipe:
-1 cup chopped onion
-1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1 (7-ounce) bottle salsa verde (such as Herdez)
-2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
-1/3 cup (3 ounces) less fat cream cheese, softened
-1 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
-8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
-cooking spray
-1/4 cup (1ounce) crumbled queso fresco
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
-4 lime wedges
-cilantro sprigs (optional)

Preparation:
-Preheat over to 425 degrees.
-Place first 4 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.  Combine chicken and cream cheese in a large bowl.  Stir in ½ cup salsa mixture.  Reserve remaining salsa mixture.
-Bring broth to a simmer in a medium skillet.  Working with 1 tortilla at a time, add tortilla to pan; cook 20 seconds until moist, turning once.  Remove tortilla; drain on paper towels.  Spoon about ¼ cup chicken mixture down center of tortilla; roll up.  Place tortilla, seam-side down, in an 11x7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Repeat with remaining ingredients.
-Pour reserved salsa mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle evenly with queso fresco and chili powder.  Bake at 425 degrees for 18 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Serve with lime wedges.

Guacamole

Recipe:
-3 large ripe avocados
-juice of ½ lime
-1/2 onion finely chopped
-1 medium tomato, seeded and minced
-2 tbsp chopped cilantro
-salt

Preparation:
-Pit and skin the avocados.  Place flesh in a medium bowl and mash with a fork until somewhat chunky.
-Add the lime juice, then the onion and tomato.  Mix well, then stir in the cilantro.  Season with the salt to taste.

Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. Love the new posts :)! I need to try some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the Enchiladas right away! Greg will love them! Then I would check out the pork chops...so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete