Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Peach Crisp With Maple Cream Sauce



            This past Friday night, Chris and I invited to dinner one of our friends, who also happens to be one of the priests that co-celebrated our wedding mass.  We also invited the new priest at our parish that we had yet to be formally introduced to.  Inviting people into your home for dinner is such a wonderful way to get to know people, but can also be somewhat stressful if you are a woman who is both a perfectionist and still working out the kinks of meal-mastering.
            Because I am both of these, and have experienced the anxiety of trying a new recipe to be served to guests before, I made a veteran decision to make something I felt that I have previously “mastered.”  So, in an effort to push my boundaries a bit, without the resulting anxiety, I decided to try a new dessert recipe from none other than my friend, the Pioneer Woman.  She never leads me astray.
            Now seeing as how this isn’t technically peach season, this could have been a recipe for disaster.  Instead my friends, I found a recipe that will likely become a McQuillan staple!  It was THAT good.  The peaches really softened during the baking, and the topping was perfect.  I will admit that I was also pretty proud of myself for the homemade drizzle (which was also super yummy!). 
            It is also probably important to note here that I prepared the dessert before I began working on the meal itself.  I would highly recommend doing this, as the drizzle needs a significant amount of time to chill, and you can just put the cobbler in the oven according to when you would like to serve it.  Please try this one for yourselves soon, you won’t be disappointed!

Slainte!

Maple Cream Sauce Recipe:
-1 ½ cups heavy cream
-5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
-3 tablespoons light corn syrup

Peach Crisp Recipe:
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-dash of nutmeg
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 stick cold butter
-5 or 6 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches (about 6)
-grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Preparation:
-Begin my making the maple cream sauce.  It needs to chill before serving.  Pour the cream into a heavy saucepan.
-Add the maple syrup and corn syrup.
-Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and reduced by a third, about 20 minutes.  Chill for at least an hour before serving over warm peach crisp.
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Start with crumb mixture.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
-Cut the cold butter into pieces.  Add the butter to the bowl and use a fork or pastry blender to cut into the flour mixture.
-Place the peaches in a bowl, add the lemon zest to the peaches.  Mix in the lemon juice and maple syrup and gently stir the peaches to combine.  Pour the peaches into the baking dish.
-Top with the crumb mixture, evening out the surface with a fork.
-Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 15 minutes.
-Remove the foil, and bake for 30 more minutes (or longer if it appears undone).  It should be a golden brown.
-Scoop into bowls, and drizzle the maple cream sauce over. 
-Then un-button the top button of your pants…

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment