Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chicken Spaghetti


            
            To pick up where I left off as closely as possible, I think it is appropriate to continue with my sharing of all things Pioneer Woman.  Initially, I had proclaimed that  the McQuillan household would observe ‘Pioneer Woman Week.’  I must admit, that I almost daily read through the cookbook as if it is literature one must consume daily in order to survive, and if you were to look at it on my shelf you might think it was growing page markers.  Thus, PW week has now started looking more like PW month.
            I was beyond pumped to prepare her Chicken Spaghetti.  Perhaps because of this over-enthusiasm, I ended up leaving the table feeling a little (scratch that…a lot) disappointed.  Now, because of my everlasting love for the Pioneer Woman, I am willing to admit where I went wrong and take full responsibility for my misstep.  In fact, after fully analyzing the situation, I think that I just couldn’t deal with the crunchy green peppers and onions.  I didn’t chop them as finely as I could have because I (stupidly) assumed that they would cook and soften, but the point in which they were added to the pasta didn’t allow for that. 
            So, would I make this again?  Probably.  Chris loved it, and I wanted so badly to love it that I am willing to give it a second shot.  Of course, if I do, I will be sure to FINELY chop the veggies!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-1 cut up fryer chicken
-1 pound thin spaghetti, broken into 2 inch pieces
-One 4-ounce jar diced pimientos, drained (I omitted this)
-1 small onion
-1/4 cup FINELY diced green bell pepper
-2 cans cream of mushroom soup
-2 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese
-1 teaspoon seasoned salt (such as Lawry’s)
-Finely ground black pepper to taste
-1/3 to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste

Preparation:
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
-Add the chicken to a stock pot.  Cover with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce the eat to medium and simmer until the chicken is cooked, about 25 minutes.
-Remove two cups of broth from the pot and set aside
-Bring the remaining broth back to a boil and add the spaghetti.  Cook it al dente.
-Drain the spaghetti, discarding the cooking liquid.  Set aside.  With two forks, remove the chicken from the bones.  Shred or cut the meat into bite sized chunks
-Dice all of the vegetables
-Place the cooked spaghetti in a large bowl.  Add the cream of mushroom soup.  Add 2 cups of the cheddar cheese
-Add the veggies and season with the Lawry’s, salt, and pepper.
-Finally, add the chicken and broth.  Stir together well. 
-Pour the mixture into a large baking pan, and top with the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese.  Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until bubbly.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment