Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Last But Not Least-Penne alla Betsy!



            Now, I don’t know how you have all been feeling about PW week turning into what seems like PW month, but I assure you that this is the last PW recipe coming your way for awhile.  So far, I have been overjoyed at how much I have loved this cookbook.  While I pined away for this and dropped hint after hint to Chris that this (and of course my new camera) were all I wanted for Christmas, I would not have predicted that I would love it THIS much.
            This last recipe I share with you is far and away my personal favorite to date.  The PW shares in the cookbook that this recipe for Penne Alla Betsy is one her sister always makes for her when she comes to visit.  I think of it as the equivalent of Brooke’s chicken and rice dish.  This, like the chicken and rice, is super easy to prepare and is so delicious you actually consider if you could eat it every day for the rest of your life…and really, I think I could!  Well, maybe I could have a special plan where I rotated Penne alla Betsy and Chicken and rice every other day!
            If you have a pasta-tooth like me PLEASE, I beg of you, try this one soon and let me know how much you love it.  I, of course, will be sure to reply with the kindest “I told you so!”

Slainte!

Recipe:
-1 pound penne pasta
-1 pound large shrimp (I bought them peeled, and de-veined)
-2 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 small onion, finely chopped
-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
-1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
-One 14.5 ounce can tomato sauce
-1 cup heavy cream
-milk for thinning
-1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
-6 basil leaves, cut
-Salt
-Freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:
-Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil.  Cook the penne until al dente, drain and set aside.
-In a small skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
-When the pan is hot, add the shrimp cooking about 2 minutes.  Remove, and allow to cool.
-Next, finally chop the onion.
-In a large skillet over medium heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil.  Add the garlic and onion, stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
-Pour the wine into the pan (after taking a few sips), stirring and allowing it to evaporate, about 45 seconds.
-Pour in the tomato sauce and stir to combine.  Reduce the heat to low.  Pour in the cream.  Stir well to combine, reduce the heat to simmer.
-Remove the tails from the shrimp, and chop them into medium-sized pieces.  Add them to the sauce, stirring gently to combine.
-Next, add the herbs, followed by the cooked pasta.  Stir to combine and serve! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment