Monday, May 9, 2011

Rib-Eye Steaks with Whiskey Cream Sauce



            If you have ever met my husband, Chris, you would know after reading the title of this post that there are two reasons he would be all about this dish.  Steak and whiskey.  In fact, those two things might just rank right up there with his wife!  So, when I suggested we try this dish from my friend the Pioneer Woman, he was game.  However, when I was preparing it a few days after and asked for him to go grab me some whiskey, he thought we needed to have a talk.
            After assuring him that I have not taken to drinking whiskey while cooking, he obliged and brought me up a bottle.  Handing it to me with care, he said something to the effect of, “this better be good.”  He was handing over to me one of his most prized possessions after all!
            So, after an easy prep, it was judgment day.  Would this dish be worth the whiskey? Er…wait?  Well friends, I am pleased to say it was!  We both enjoyed it thoroughly, and it just had a really unique taste that we both loved.  If you have a whiskey-loving, carnivorous husband like I do (or if you are a whiskey-loving carnivorous individual yourself) I would recommend you give this one a try soon!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-5 tablespoons butter
-3 tablespoons diced onion
-1/4 cup whiskey
-1/4 cup beef stock or beef broth
-Dash of salt
-Freshly ground black pepper
-1/4 cup light cream
-2 rib-eye steaks

Preparation:
-Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat in a small skillet.  Add the onion and cook until brown, about 4 minutes.
-When the onion is brown, turn off the heat for a moment so you won’t catch fire!  Pour in the whiskey.
-As soon as the whiskey evaporates, turn the burner on medium and pour in the beef stock or broth.  Add salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Add another tablespoon butter. 
-Allow the mixture to bubble for 30 seconds, then reduce the heat to low.  Over low heat, pour in the cream.  Whisk, adding more cream if the mixture looks too brothy.  Allow to simmer on very low heat while you prepare the steaks.  Stir occasionally.
-Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Generously salt and pepper the steak on both sides, then add it to the hot skillet.
-For medium rare, cook for to minutes on each side for a thin steak, or 3 to 4 minutes on each side for a thick steak.  Place the steak on a plate and spoon the sauce over the steak!!


*Also, we enjoyed this steak with a great red wine my parents brought us from Napa Valley…I recommend you do the same!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment