Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Herb Garden!

Since the time this photo was taken, Chris has made me these adorable little labels using sticks shaved down with the name of the herb written in permanent marker...so cute!


    


            This year, after making the commitment to prepare more meals at home and improve my skills as a home cook, I have began to realize that I blow through herbs like it is my part time job.  Being a lover of home and garden stores, early this spring, I started scheming with Chris as to what would be the best plan for growing our own herbs.  Because I know that I would one day like to have a full vegetable garden, but also realize that I do not have the time for such an undertaking now, I knew I needed to start small.
            We went back and forth between wanting to do a container garden or disguise our herbs amongst our other plants and flowers.  Ultimately, after much debate (and many trips to Home Depot), we decided a container garden would be best for this first year.  So, we purchased 5 pots (3 bigger and 2 smaller) and just purchased 5 different started herbs.  We settled on basil, cilantro, parsley, sage, and rosemary, as these are what I find myself using most frequently.
            So far, this has been an excellent decision, and it makes me feel like a culinary champion when I go out to the deck to cut the herbs for that evening’s dish.  I would almost recommend doing this solely for that feeling, as it’s quite exquisite!  If only I could feel that “masterful” everywhere I go!
            Please let me know if you or someone you know has a successful herb garden or larger vegetable garden.  Like I mentioned, I am hopeful that one day I will be able to expand mine to a full-fledged vegetable garden so all ideas are welcome and appreciated!

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment