Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mocha Brownies



            When I initially set out on this meal-mastering journey, I found a recipe for Espresso Cream Crunch, which I have detailed previously for you.  Chris and I both love coffee SO much, and are always game to give coffee flavored treats a go.  You would think that we get so much of it that we wouldn’t need to try coffee flavored treats, but we do! 
            So, when I saw the Pioneer Woman had included a recipe in her cookbook for Mocha Brownies, I couldn’t wait to give them a try.  When I slid the cookbook in front of Chris’s view, and asked if he wanted me to try them, I think that he said something to the effect of “Oh Yeah!”  Bolstered by his enthusiasm for all things mocha, I added these to my initial “Pioneer Woman Must-Try List.” 
            Luckily for us, this recipe did not disappoint!  If you yourself are not an avid coffee drinker, I think that the over-all coffee taste is not strong at all, and that you will find they are a nice take on the traditional brownie.  I do plan to make these again, as my version of Mae’s Mocha Icing seemed to look a bit different from what hers looked like.  The taste was fantastic, I just thought it looked “funny.”  Chris didn’t seem to notice anything and LOVED them!  Try them for yourself soon!

Slainte!



Brownies:
-Four 1-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
-1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
-2 cups of sugar
-4 large eggs
-3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour

Mae’s Mocha Icing:
-2 sticks butter, softened
-5 cups powdered sugar
-1/4 cup cocoa powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-1/2 to ¾ cup brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature

Brownies+PW+Tulips=Pure Joy!


Preparation:
-Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick baking spray.
-Place the chocolate squares in a microwave safe bowl.  Melt the chocolate, being careful to not let it burn.  Set aside.
-In a medium mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar.  Beat in the eggs.
-With the mixer on low speed, drizzle in the melted chocolate.  Add the vanilla extract and mix.
-Add the flour to the bowl and mix just until combined, do not overmix.
-Pour the batter into the baking pan.  Spread evenly in pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the center is no longer soft.
-Set aside the brownies to cool before icing.
-To make the icing, in a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, salt and vanilla.
-Mix until slightly combined, add the coffee.
-Whisk until it is the desired consistency.
-Spread onto the brownies, and refrigerate until cooled.  Cut into squares and serve!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment