Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Runz-ahhhhh




There are few things that when said cause an instant train of thought “track-jump” from whatever it is you are pondering, to our great state.  Such things include mention of cows, football, the Cornhuskers or even “The Good Life.”  One food item that always makes me instantly think of home is, of course, the Runza.

Now some of you, who are not native Nebraskans, might inquire “what IS a Runza?”  To which, I might reply “Well, my friend, it is pure awesomeness, packing a punch of midwestern hospitality in your mouth, if you will.  In fact, I pity you for not having this served in your rural school lunchroom as a child.”  To which you might reply something to the effect of “What is rural school?”  Well friends, rural school is where yours truly attained her elementary education with 3 (no this is not a typo) other students in her grade.  Seriously.  And, no we didn’t ride horses to school, wear bonnets, or help the school cook milk cows for our lunches.

Anyway, because our school was so small (you do the math on an average of 3-5 kids per grade, and 8 grades) our school lunches were typically pretty awesome.  One tasty staple on the school lunch menu was, of course, the Runza.  In high school, I probably went years without eating a single Runza.  It wasn’t until college, when my BFFAEAE Ashley enabled my current addiction.  The good news is they are still legal and sold in Memorial Stadium!

So, does it go without saying that I was super pumped when my friend Emily gave me a recipe for Runza Casserole at my bridal shower?  What I can’t believe, is that it has taken me so long to get around to making it!

See below as the recipe is incredibly easy and tasty.  Make it for your family today and be a Nebraskan at heart.

Slainte!

Recipe:
-2 tubes of crescent rolls
-2lbs. beef
-1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
-1 pkg. taco seasoning
-1 pkg. coleslaw mixture
-1 onion
-12 slices American cheese
-1 can cream of mushroom soup

Preparation:
-brown the hamburger, season with the taco seasoning, mix in the onion and coleslaw mixture
-Grease the baking dish, line the bottom with 1 tube of the crescent rolls

-Top with cheese, hamburger mixture, cheese, and top with remaining tube of crescent rolls.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Just made it and WE LOVE IT!
    -The Grimms in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaylie made it tonight too!! Miss you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok everyone...Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes! Sorry this isn't on here!

    ReplyDelete