Monday, April 4, 2011

Pasta Carbonara with Spicy Sausage



            Being a tried and true pasta lover, whose first attempt at pasta carbonara was somewhat of a bust, I decided to not let defeat get me down, and come back for round 2.  My decision was ultimately made when I saw this recipe for pasta carbonara with spicy sausage in the March 2011 issue of Real Simple Magazine.  I am happy to report that my second attempt was much more of a success than my first! 
            When I was looking over this recipe, I contemplated omitting the spicy sausage, as I have never experimented with sausage before and was unsure what it would really add to the dish.  If you are contemplating the same, PLEASE do not omit it!  The combination of the creamy pasta and the spice in the meat make this one really different from the traditional pasta carbonara varieties.  It also seemed a lot more authentically Italian to me, which I am admittedly all about.
            This recipe is listed as a 20 minute prep time, and I can honestly say it did not take me any longer than that for this one from start to finish.  If you are a busy guy/gal looking for something simple that is a little different add this to your list of must try’s today!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-8 ounces pappardelle or fettuccine
-1 ½ cups frozen peas
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-4 Italian sausage links (about 1 pound)
-2 large egg yolks
-1/2 cup half and half
-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
-Kosher salt and black pepper

Preparation:
-Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the peas during the last minute of cooking.  Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta and peas, and return them to the pot.
-Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook the sausages, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
-In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, half and half, Parmesan, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.  Add the egg mixture and reserved cooking water to the pasta and peas in the pot.  Cook over low heat, tossing gently, until the sauce is slightly thickened and coats the pasta.  Serve with the sausage and additional cheese.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment