Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Recipes from Home-Reuben Casserole



            A year or so ago, my sister-in-law, Abbie, gave me a cookbook called Favorite Recipes from Phelps Memorial Health Center.  Phelps Memorial Health Center is the name of the hospital in Holdrege, so what this little treasure is, is a compilation of employees best recipes.  So, if you think about it, it is a book filled with everyone’s best.  I mean, if I was asked to submit a recipe for a cookbook, I would certainly bring my “A game.”
            So, I was flipping through it, and decided to have “Holdrege Week” at our house and give 3 different recipes a go.  The first one I selected, Reuben Casserole, I will admit was more for Chris than me.   I myself have never eaten a reuben, but figure since I am now Irish by proxy I better learn to enjoy a little corned beef.  Chris reportedly loves the stuff!
            The recipe was very simple to put together, and the end product was very nice.  While talking it over at dinner, Chris and I both decided that less sauerkraut would have been “more” in this instance.  I would also note that if you are like me and do all of your grocery shopping on Sunday, this needs to be your Monday night dinner if you don’t want your kitchen wreaking of corned beef!  If you enjoy a good reuben, try this out!

Slainte!

Recipe:
-6 slices rye bread, cubed
-1 (16oz) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
-1 lb. deli sliced corned beef, cut into strips
-1/4 Cup Thousand Island Dressing
-2 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spread bread cubes in bottom on 9 x 13 inch baking dish.  Spread sauerkraut evenly over the bread cubes.  Layer beef strips over sauerkraut.  Pour dressing over all.  Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray and use to cover baking dish.  Bake in oven for 20 minutes.  Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.  (Bread cubes may be placed on top, rather than the bottom, if preferred).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment